The BIM process requires setting up data-sharing procedures. Due to the frequency of exchanges and the amount of data shared, the use of e-mails is not enough, neither in terms of capacity nor in terms of traceability. This is why it is necessary to set up specific information management solutions for the "platform" type. We are talking about Common Data Environment (CDE). A CDE centralises the common data of the project and allows each of the actors to access it. The establishment of a CDE is a mandatory step for the implementation of BIM on a project.
- On the one hand, an information management environment for managing data and documents. It can be a Drive or Dropbox file deposit server, an Electronic Document Management (EDM) solution, data integration solutions, or a combination of these solutions. This is necessary to allow consistency of information and files, and to facilitate sharing and collaboration.
- On the other hand, a project management environment for the management of calendars, schedules, assignment of tasks, dashboards, etc. This aspect is necessary to allow the smooth running of the BIM process, in coherence with the project process.
The CDE: an essential element of the BIM Execution Plan.
- Identify the environment of information management solutions within the project;
- Define the information management environment chosen for the project;
- Define the chosen project management environment (if it is different from the information management environment).